Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I (Don't) Want It That Way

Chinese internet cafes are amazing places. Hundreds of computers are filled with boys playing Counterstrike and World of Warcraft, with my students wandering in between trying to check their email. I sit in the corner eating my tasty street food breakfast. It's a crepe, with an egg, and some tsong (green onions), and some...other stuff. I dunno. Crispy. Good.

They play American pop music that was popular about 10 years ago here. Every single day, multiple times a day, sometimes twice in a row, I hear "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. I seriously think that they cue up this song when I walk in (I've become a regular here) and then repeat it. I'm not being paranoid - no other song is repeated so much!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love these stories with the human touch. Give me a glimpse of what the Chinese people do in their leisure time. Thanks!