Sunday, May 20, 2007

Hong Kong graveyards


Establishing and regulating cemeteries was a major issue in Hong Kong in the mid-19th century, due to plague. From roughly 1850 - 1870, formal cemeteries for the British, French, Jews, Muslims, Chinese Christians, Buddhists, and Zoroastrians had been established on the main island. In the 1890's, a separate cemetery was established for Eurasians. Hong Kong's growing Chinese merchant class was led by a few prominent Eurasians who played the role of compradore, first among them the Ho Tong family.

Sir Robert Ho Tung was Hong Kong's first millionaire, and the first person with Chinese ancestry allowed to live in the mid-levels on Mount Victoria. His brother, Ho Kom Tong, founded what is now known today at the Chiu Yuen cemetery, containing family plots of wealthy Eurasian families. Ho Kom Tong is my great-great-grandfather, so I was able to obtain access to the cemetery yesterday. Shown above is the family plot.

I visited the grave of my mother's mother's mother (great-grandmother) to pay my respects.

3 comments:

Josh said...

Who went with you to take the pictures?

Unknown said...

Thank you for doing this for Por Por. We are deeply grateful, and very proud of you.

dkelly said...

Tracy - I am a long time friend of your mothers. Sounds like you are embarking on a great adventure. Hong Kong is one of my favorite places in the Pac Rim - I have great memories from my visits there. Looking forward to your chronicle. Diane Kelly